Thursday, January 22, 2009

Generosity with Vulnerability


I don't have much to say about this. A student said this of another student's piece yesterday:
"The piece is very generous with its vulnerability." The phrase made us all gasp, and then I teared up as I spontaneously semi-exploded that that phrase is not just true of that student's writing, but of all the classes, and then someone else chimed in that it's key to good writing, and then someone else that it is key to good living. We all sat, stunned. I asked the "author" of this term if I could use it for promo/tagline today, and she said:
"Of course. You know that I secretly want to be the tipping point for certain words or phrases. So I'd only be delighted if I started to hear it in everyday conversation."

So would I.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful experience, and a well spoken truth. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete