Friday, January 09, 2009

A date I'd make with my Mom if she were still alive

In the shower, relaxing after preparing for a retreat I am running this weekend, out in the country, in a cabin in the snow, which I know my mother would have loved, I realized I want to do some things that I would have done with her, had she come to visit me in this life. When I was younger and she was still alive she was forever dragging me out to nature to take walks, garden with her, listen to classical music. It's hard for me to make time for these things now in my life, because I don't prioritize them. But if I pretend like my mom is visiting, like most kids have to do at some point, then I can do them for "her" and me.

I like that idea.

Also, in class the other day we collectively came up with the idea of making a drawing of your mind every day. A woman had drawn her mind as an open circle of space and an arrow pointing to the center of the space. We all wondered: what would I draw my mind as right now? And tomorrow? And yesterday?...

Off to Black Earth. Stay warm everyone!

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely way to honor your mom and your self at the same time. I might adopt that practice myself, using a whole list of people that, for one reason or another, I can't spend actual, physical time with on a regular basis.

    I hope the retreat is amazing, though I doubt it would be anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that idea a lot - someone need not be dead to miss them, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete